Wednesday, July 6, 2011

end the day on a good note

Made our first attempt at ponying today. Sparrow was perfectly content to follow along, but he would only follow nose to tail. Oliver, my main riding horse, is a bit of a brat himself and in fairness has ponied some nasty horses before. He is fine as long as the horse has his nose at my knee where it should be. Needless to say the lesson ended early when neither horse was willing to cooperate very well. However none was lost as Oliver got to go for a gallop since he was all tacked up and when I got back Sparrow got a ground lesson. We worked on yielding his front end away from me, since he tends to think he can just put his head up and stand his ground. With great happiness from me he learned to move away from me when asked. He also was walking along side me and stopping with no pressure just watching and verbal ques. He trot when asked and came to a halt when I did with no pressure from the lead rope and walked across our ply wood sheet  without any concerns :)

No comments:

Post a Comment